Easter Day

Thursday 9 April 2009

Maundy Thursday - the Bread and the Wine

Station 11

 

On the night before Jesus died he set an example for his disciples by washing their feet.  The Son of God, on his knees in the dust.  He taught us and them an important lesson – that heavenly strength and growth comes, not by politics, not by ruling with force, but by loving God and serving others.  We can all remember that we are Christ’s servants, by following our Master’s example.  Remembering that everything we do for the least of our brothers and sisters, we do for Jesus himself.   While you are at this station maybe you could take the time to wash your hands in the bowl of water.  While remembering different ways we could show our love for God and ways we could serve others.

 

Children: Jesus washed the feet of his disciples to show to them that his followers, that includes us, can love others and do good things for people.  As you wash your hands in the bowl of water, with the help of an adult, maybe you can think of how you can show love to others and what good things you could do for people.


John 13


Jesus Washes the Disciples’ Feet

Now before the festival of the Passover, Jesus knew that his hour had come to depart from this world and go to the Father. Having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. The devil had already put it into the heart of Judas son of Simon Iscariot to betray him. And during supper Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God, got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around himself. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, ‘Lord, are you going to wash my feet?’ Jesus answered, ‘You do not know now what I am doing, but later you will understand.’ Peter said to him, ‘You will never wash my feet.’ Jesus answered, ‘Unless I wash you, you have no share with me.’ Simon Peter said to him, ‘Lord, not my feet only but also my hands and my head!’ Jesus said to him, ‘One who has bathed does not need to wash, except for the feet, but is entirely clean. And you are clean, though not all of you.’ For he knew who was to betray him; for this reason he said, ‘Not all of you are clean.’

 

 After he had washed their feet, had put on his robe, and had returned to the table, he said to them, ‘Do you know what I have done to you?You call me Teacher and Lord—and you are right, for that is what I am.So if I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. For I have set you an example, that you also should do as I have done to you. Very truly, I tell you, servants are not greater than their master, nor are messengers greater than the one who sent them. If you know these things, you are blessed if you do them. I am not speaking of all of you; I know whom I have chosen. But it is to fulfil the scripture, “The one who ate my bread has lifted his heel against me.” I tell you this now, before it occurs, so that when it does occur, you may believe that I am he. Very truly, I tell you, whoever receives one whom I send receives me; and whoever receives me receives him who sent me.’

 

 

 

Station 12

 

The night before he died, Jesus went to pray at the Mount of Olives.  He cried out to God in anguish, asking him to take the cup of suffering away from him.  But then he added ‘Yet not my will but yours be done’.  Add some water to a cup from the jug.  Sip the water from the cup.  Think about the pain of that moment and the anguish that Jesus went through.  Now think of someone who is afraid today, someone who is going through the process of making an agonising decision, who knows that doing the ‘right thing’ will be difficult.  Pray for them now, and if you want write their name on a piece of paper and put it under the cup.

 

Children: The night before he died Jesus was worried and scared as he prayed to God.  Are there any moments where you have been scared or lonely?  Thank God for those that care about you, for example your family and friends.


Mark 14

Jesus Prays in Gethsemane

 They went to a place called Gethsemane; and he said to his disciples, ‘Sit here while I pray.’ He took with him Peter and James and John, and began to be distressed and agitated. And he said to them, ‘I am deeply grieved, even to death; remain here, and keep awake.’ And going a little farther, he threw himself on the ground and prayed that, if it were possible, the hour might pass from him. He said, ‘Abba, Father, for you all things are possible; remove this cup from me; yet, not what I want, but what you want.’ He came and found them sleeping; and he said to Peter, ‘Simon, are you asleep? Could you not keep awake one hour?Keep awake and pray that you may not come into the time of trial; the spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.’ And again he went away and prayed, saying the same words. And once more he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were very heavy; and they did not know what to say to him. He came a third time and said to them, ‘Are you still sleeping and taking your rest? Enough! The hour has come; the Son of Man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Get up, let us be going. See, my betrayer is at hand.’

 

Station 13

 

Judas betrayed Jesus for thirty pieces of silver, the price of a slave.  The temple guard arrested Jesus while he was in the garden and took him to the house of the high priest to be tried.  Touch the chains and think about the many prisoners in the world today.  As you hold the chains think of some of the innocent prisoners in the world (those arrested for things that are legal in our country).  Imagine being a prisoner in this world, feeling trapped because of something done to you or by you.


Mark 14

The Betrayal and Arrest of Jesus

 Immediately, while he was still speaking, Judas, one of the twelve, arrived; and with him there was a crowd with swords and clubs, from the chief priests, the scribes, and the elders. Now the betrayer had given them a sign, saying, ‘The one I will kiss is the man; arrest him and lead him away under guard.’ So when he came, he went up to him at once and said, ‘Rabbi!’ and kissed him. Then they laid hands on him and arrested him. But one of those who stood near drew his sword and struck the slave of the high priest, cutting off his ear. Then Jesus said to them, ‘Have you come out with swords and clubs to arrest me as though I were a bandit? Day after day I was with you in the temple teaching, and you did not arrest me. But let the scriptures be fulfilled.’All of them deserted him and fled.

 A certain young man was following him, wearing nothing but a linen cloth. They caught hold of him, but he left the linen cloth and ran off naked. 


Children: Jesus was put in chains when arrested.  People in other countries can be put in chains or put in prisons for things they didn’t do or get punished for believing in Jesus.  As you hold the padlock think of those who might be facing punishment for loving Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment